Temporary transition rules exist for youth over 16 but not yet 18 years of age on February 1, 2019 who are interested in earning the Eagle Scout rank and who join Scouts BSA for the first time in 2019, so that these newly joined older Scouts can earn the Eagle rank even if they join in 2019 at age 16 or 17.
The full announcement is posted here — NOTE on 1/31/19 it became apparent that while the initial guidance said that extensions “will provide not more than twenty-four months from the date of initial registration to complete all requirements”, that was reduced at some point since 10/1/18 to reflect 22 months. The request for extension is an attachment to the Guide to Advancement.
The basic rule for youth joining Scouts BSA during 2019 – both girls and first-time joining boys – is:
- Youth 16 years of age or older, but not yet 18, on February 1, 2019 who register as members of Scouts BSA on or before December 31, 2019, may request extensions to complete the Eagle Scout Award requirements after they turn 18 years of age.
- Another note in the announcement states that “these temporary transition rules apply to all youth joining Scouts BSA during 2019–both girls and first-time joining boys”.
- So, for example, they would not apply to boys who joined before 2019.
- Requests for extensions must be received no later than thirty (30) days after turning 18 years of age. Extensions must be in writing by submitting the designated form to the National Service Center.
- It is noted that requests for extension can be submitted at any time after joining …
- … so, especially for your 17 year old signups, get their requests for extension filed as soon as you can, so that you can have a final extended deadline set in stone.
- These are temporary transition rules and will not be available to any youth who is under 16 years of age on February 1, 2019 as they will have adequate time to earn their Eagle before turning 18.
More detail and commentary is found in that announcement at https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/Implementation-Details-for-Scouts-BSA-FINAL.pdf.